Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Days 63 into Day 65

Interesting things on Sunday, Day 63. We wound up having a really quiet, relaxing day - stayed home, played, watched a little TV. But, the interesting thing - I recently said to someone that when P and I were married, I had this vision of family life - the MGM musical version with kids running in and out of the house, the back door slamming, all that picturesque stuff. When Josh came along, I realized the back door slamming and kids coming over to play was not likely going to happen - a life it took a long time to let go of. Well, I was wrong, and I don't have to give that up! On Day 63, Josh and I saw new neighbors moving in and Josh said, "I have snack outside, front door." We have a little bistro table and a couple of chairs on the front porch and that's where he wanted to have snack. Sure enough, my front door was slamming! Josh was going in and out, watching the neighbors (some teenage boys, I think maybe a younger kid but not sure, a boat, etc.), the screen door was opening/closing/slamming for about an hour! He never did eat the snack that was out there but it was sure fun watching him loving going in and out! Now, for those other kids running in and out...

We wound up driving over to the Huntley Rec Center to see where camp would be - what a great park! The building is beautiful, that park is fantastic, and the waterpark over there is small but perfect for kids (especially with disabilities!)! He was pointing out spots where his van driver from camp previously would drop kids off, where she would stop and call me at the office to let me know they were on their way - he knew all about the place from the previous camp! He was like a tour guide!! What a great day!

Yesterday, Day 64, well, it was the first day of camp. Josh said he was nervous so we talked about how it's OK to be nervous, and it's perfectly understandable with something new like that. But, I reminded him that Stephanie would be with him, and he knows about the camp place so maybe the day would go well. Hhhmm.. not so much. It took him a little bit to get out of the car but he did (Stephanie actually arrived just after we did so she was there to help get him into the building). He had his chair with him and sat in the chair outside the car for a couple of minutes, had a minor overload (not a full PNES), got up, we folded up the chair, and in he went. I got no calls during the day (good!), but when I picked him up Stephanie said the day was a bit rough. He had 6 overloads but only one full-blown PNES - they walked a huge amount - all over the park, the building, they found the vacuum (of course!), he didn't do lunch well but ate some and drank his milk, was rough. But, both she and the site director said it was not unexpected, that he wasn't the only one, and with all the new people/places/things/demands on him, not to worry, it will get better. I love these people!

I got Josh back to the office and he started to watch a DVD on my laptop but was soooo tired! All that walking and excitement at camp - he was exhausted! So I put out the sleeping bag on the floor of the library and he just crashed. He slept for about an hour and a half (I got some reading done but a friend came in and we wound up talking quite a bit - our recent vacations, work, etc.). When we got home, he wasn't so hungry but ate some dinner, watched just a little TV, and fell sound asleep on the couch. I was able to get bills done and some other work, but we both headed up to bed at 10:00 and we both were sound asleep shortly after that.

Today, Day 65, they are supposed to do a field trip with camp. Stephanie said either swimming or a movie - it's raining out now so I'm betting on the movie. That should be interesting to hear about! I don't know if it's to a theater or just to the library or NISRA for the movie - we'll find out! It's 6:30 a.m. - Josh is usually up and moving by now but I think he was sooo tired from yesterday, I'll let him sleep a bit longer. I also put something different in his lunch today - I think all the peanut butter he eats is starting to, as it did once before, cause a litttle bit of reflux so I'm going to try cutting down on the PBJs! We'll see how lunch goes!

Well, on with Day 65 - thunder, rain, lightening, and the garbage truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment