Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 37

Josh is really into the peeing sticker chart! This a.m., before going out for the bus, he was not too cooperative and, when he finally did get up, I asked if he needed to pee. Yep, indeed, he went right to the bathroom, gave me the chart, and went in to pee. He got on the bus just great - no word on getting off. He had a good day at summer school - they had music therapy today and he really liked it (duh! he always loved music therapy!!) and strummed the guitar. The note included that he didn't want to get up for P.E. today - not sure why.

I picked Josh up from camp after their lunch and we were going to head out to the dentist appointment. We stopped at home and I made a different NV mix. Finally found something Josh really doesn't like - this a.m. before school I had made vanilla NV with some peaches and plain yogurt (I added about a 1/2 cup of chocolate milk just to give it color) - he HATED it! I tried doctoring it up with various things, thinning it out (I think I put too much yogurt in), and he still wouldn't drink it. So, he really didn't have much to drink this a.m. (although I always put in 2 milks for during the day) - maybe that explains the not wanting to go to P.E.? Anyhow, when we got home before the appointment, I mixed up some of the chocolate and vanilla NV with milk and water - man, he just downed that! I took some with for after the appointment just in case he wanted something and, sure enough, he did. So at least he got in the full servings today.

The dentist appointment went well - thanks to modern chemicals! ;-) The dentist, Fred Margolis, is marvelous and specializes in kids with special needs. He is the nicest, most genteel guy, and he is just great with Josh. Dr. M prescribed triazolam for Josh and it didn't knock him out, just sort of mellowed Josh enough that Dr. M could do his work (papoosing Josh also helps!) - just a cleaning and flouride treatment today. No cavities! Yeah!! I told Josh that means he's doing a really good job brushing (and he is!). Josh will need dental surgery, though. Last summer, Dr. M said Josh needed gum surgery and he wanted to pull a couple teeth since Josh is not exactly a candidate for braces. That hasn't changed - Dr. M still wants to do both. Not sure when, or what will be covered by insurance, but they are starting the ball rolling on finding all that out.

Dr. M has a gumball machine that is filled with jawbreaker-size rubber balls - every time we've gone to see him, Josh asks for one of the balls (I think I have three in my purse!) - and Dr. M was more than happy to give him one. Then, as I was paying the bill, Josh was asking for stickers - and the women at the desk were more than happy to give him a sticker from Thomas the Engine. Of course, by the time I was paying, Josh was getting more and more wobbly from the med so I got him out of there as soon as I could and into the car. Not surprisingly, he forced himself to stay awake and kept saying "no hitting, see trains!" So, we tried to see some trains at Arlington Heights (none) and he was getting sleepier - so we headed on home. We did see one Metra on the way home and, of course, as we rounded the corner close to home, his eyes started to close. Fortunately he wasn't sound asleep and I helped him in and right upstairs. He fell asleep right away (around 5:30) and I think has been sleeping since. I hope he sleeps through the night!

So, a fairly good day for Day 37. Tomorrow, there may be a different bus - his driver said she may be switching to a van instead of the bus (she said SEDOM is getting new busses and vans). We'll see what happens - tomorrow, Day 38.

No comments:

Post a Comment