Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 30

Josh had a "fantastic" day at summer school! The note home said he breezed through the deskwork (and it looks great!), and had a terrific time working the "water wagon." Then they did an arts and craft project that he really liked (suprisingly!) - they made flowers! Hhhmm..!

Camp was a different story. Because today was a pool day, he didn't have the chance to take a little rest or power nap (he's needed that the last few days at camp). They wound up sitting in the shade and playing with the squirt bottle, then someone pooped in the pool and they had to get all the people out. Totally threw Josh since they had to gather up all the kids and get them back to the school building. His counselor said Josh had 4 PNES, and he had had one before the bus this a.m., and one in the car when I picked him up. I'm not sure if it's because he is not feeling well, or if he was over tired, or if it was just because it's a Monday, but I hope tomorrow will be better.

When he got home, though, great stuff happened. I was certain he would fall asleep - he even nodded off in the car on the way home. But, instead of falling asleep, he came in and laid down on the floor for about a minute. We talked for a little bit about how I really wish he had a faith in himself with the walking and peeing and stuff, that I have all the faith in the world in him and I know he can do so much if he would just let himself. I walked away and he got right up, into the bathroom, peed (a little too late, but oh well), and then wanted to watch TV. I put on a video but he wound up not even staying in the room - he came into the kitchen and actually helped make his dinner and get stuff to the table.

As we were eating, he started talking about the "boo boo Mobil" (it's a gas station near where we watch for trains - the car wash has never worked in 3 years!) and the "big book with the boo boo Mobil." I had no clue what he was talking about (although my Mom, when I told her, knew immediately what he was talking about!). He got up, went over to the book case, and came back with the spiral notebooks that we had been working on emotions. He found the picture we had drawn of the "boo boo Mobil" and he just started coloring and drawing pictures. The two of us drew pictures and talked for about 40 minutes!

Then, as I was cleaning up the dinner stuff, he wanted to play with his remote control train. So I helped him turn it on and he was perfectly content to play in the living room while I washed up the dishes and made some cookies - Josh really is not a "play by myself" kind of kid but he played all by himself, not asking me to come play with him, for about 20 minutes or so - a first!

As the cookies were baking, he asked me to come in and play the piano for him! OMG, he's never asked for that and even has said that the piano was too loud! So I sat and played for about a half hour or so, stopping to get the cookies out of the oven at one point. He was just listening to the music and playing with the train. After I had played a bit more, about ten to 8 or so, I looked over and he was asleep, and still pressing the remote buttons on the train! LOL! So, I let him sleep a bit and then got him up to bed, and we read Night Lights and Pillow Fights. He fell asleep during the one about Prince Strongheart.

So, while the middle part of the day was not great, the beginning and ending were! I can't figure out why he's tired - with the NV, I would think he wouldn't be. But, he is still holding his mouth that funny way he does when he isn't feeling quite right, so maybe there is something going on - just wish I could figure out what.

So, tomorrow is one full month on NV. I've seen, and others have seen, changes. I am hopeful that progress will continue! Tomorrow - Day 31!

No comments:

Post a Comment