Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 9

Well, with Gramma and Boompah here yesterday, Day 8 was pretty good. Josh was in great mood all day. We were vacuuming the family room in anticipation of the new chair and he even did some of the vacuuming! With the vacuum on!! Whoo Hoo!! He didn't want to eat lunch and took a snooze while we ate. When he woke up he was a hungry pup. He ate really well at dinner. At one point during dinner, Josh made up his own joke (darned if I can't remember it right now!) - Mom and I just looked at each other and did one of those "whoa!" looks and we both said, "well, he's never made up his own joke before!" He showed Gramma the book with the emotions written in it, and then he took another spiral book and was "writing" things. Gramma and I were "testing" him on letter recognition and numbers, and writing them. He was doing very purposeful lines and was able to actually write several of the letters all on his own (without hand-over-hand help). He was engaging Boompah in conversation all day. Was just great until bedtime.

I know I should have just followed the routine we've gotten into - let him fall asleep downstairs and then, after about 15 minutes of sleeping, gently wake him and he'll go upstairs without any question or problem. I don't know what made me try to get him to go up especially while Gramma and Boompah were still here. It was a disaster, and he wound up doing what I should have done (without the hassles) - he fell asleep downstairs in the living room (on one of the hospital pads just in case - good call last night!). After they left and I took care of some stuff, I woke him and, with just a little resistance, he went up and to bed.

Today, Day 9, was not great. He got up this a.m., into the bathroom, and washed up. I knew something was up - he just didn't seem himself. Sure enough, when we were getting dressed, he just laid down on his bed and wouldn't move - all day! Fortunately, I "double bagged" him (in Depends) - I just had the feeling this was going to be one of those days, and it was. There was no way I was going to move him so I went and read the paper, read some of a book, mowed the lawn, trimmed the lilac tree and some boxwoods - all the while Josh was up in his room, laying down. I would go up to check on him on occasion - a couple of times he was asleep on the floor. Finally, I knew he would have peed through both of the Depends so I got him up (that was tough) and into the shower. In the shower he just broke down sobbing. In talking him through it, he said his tummy hurt and he was worried ("I worried. I nerwous"). I asked him what about and he said, "Mommy doctor." Oh man.

Last December I was taken to the hospital with chest pains (turned out to be costochondritis -and I was hospitalized for three days). But there he was, in his own hospital bed recovering from the broken leg and there I am being taken away in an ambulance. (2 really nice paramedics stayed with him until Gramma and Boompah got here, then Peter picked him up in the afternoon) We've talked a few times about how he felt that day - he has said he was scared, that he missed me. Lately, he's brought up the subject and said how he missed me when I was in the hospital. I knew it had to have had an effect but I didn't expect this today. From what he was saying today, he was worried about me going to the doctor (just a check-up tomorrow) and didn't want me to go to the hospital again. ("Mommy doctor, no go hospital") I tried to reassure him it was just a check-up, that I'm fine, and that my doctor doesn't have an elevator (when you go to the hospital, you go in an elevator - that's the connection he has made). Must have helped him feel at least a little better - he was still nervous finishing getting dressed, but calmed down as we talked more, and he came downstairs to eat at least a little something (it's now almost bedtime already!) - PBJ, of course, and one serving of the NV.

He's watching AirBuddies right now and looking at a book (that I've not seen him play with yet - it was a gift for his birthday - one of those books that you press a button when a certain picture turns up in the story), and he keeps looking over at me.

We'll see how bedtime goes tonight (whenever that will be!), but Day 9 certainly has been a mixed bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment