Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 7

After yesterday's not the greatest day, Josh and I sat at the dining room table (at least he was not sprawled on the couch!) last night chatting about whether he was upset about something and what may have been upsetting him during day. He did talk some, and then I did what was recommended in the Liberated Parent, Liberated Child book - I took out a clean spiral notebook and the markers and had him color/draw "angry," "sad," "happy," and so on. He started out just scribbling with a brown marker. Then I wrote the words "I'm mad" in red on a page, "I'm sad" in blue on another page, "I'm happy" in purple on another page, and "I'm sleepy" in gold on another page (OK, I snuck in some speech therapy during this, and some reading letters and sight words). As we talked about the feelings and drew the simple faces to go with them, he started opening up even more. And, all of a sudden, his scribbles turned into purposeful lines and shapes. At one point, he drew something on a page with some circles and an approximated rectangle. I asked him what it was and he said it was a train. Doesn't seem like much but this is the first time Josh has "drawn" something and put a name to what it was! So, out of the yucky day, there was quite a bit of progress, I think. Then we drew other things - signs, a RR crossing arm, etc. By the time we were done, he was back to being cooperative, went right upstairs to bed (it was close to 8:00), peed (in the bathroom!) along the way, and, after the usual back rub, he fell right to sleep.

I'm thinking he's peeing more (again the subject of peeing!) because maybe he's dropping some pounds on the NV. His appetite, while still good, is less than before. He's still getting the protein, vitamins, etc. since it's in the NV, and he is eating, just less. You lose weight, you drink more, you pee! Maybe for the time being I'll just stick with the Depends and cut him a little (little!) slack.

He was up early today - around 5 - so I'm wondering what Day 7 will bring. He is going to the office with me this a.m. I told him if he does a good job during the morning, we'll do lunch by the trains in Elgin. Don't know whether going back to the office will work after that but we'll see. Josh usually likes going to the office (he has to say hello to everyone and, sorry Barb, he likes to see what people are doing!) - there's a TV in the library so he can watch some train movies, and I've got Legos at the office, and he can do other stuff (there's always paper and pens!) while I read a transcript. I've always kept a sleeping bag at the office as well so if he gets sleepy, he can snooze. And, he likes to go up/down the stairs so we get in some PT while we're there. LOL! Thank goodness folks at the office understand the situation and are patient about him being there - and I don't bring him all that often.

Day 7 begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment